Important Notes About Testing Your Rifle
A link to schedule your appointment is at the bottom of this page.
Scheduling your appointment
- You must book an appointment before sending in a rifle or visiting our facility.
- Appointments cost $50 per rifle and generally take two to four hours per rifle for testing.
- We accept checks or credit cards for payment, credit cards are subject to an additional 4% processing fee.
- Each rifle being tested requires its own appointment form to be filled out, this is to ensure we have all firearms and their serial numbers on file to meet ATF regulations.
- Appointments are generally made one to two weeks prior, but can be booked out a month or longer during certain busy times of year (November-February).
- If you are bringing/sending in your own ammunition to test against ours, you must let us know the exact quantity of lots and rounds you plan to test before your appointment. Put this information on the “additional notes” section of the appointment form.
Preparing your rifle for testing
- Unless otherwise requested, your rifle will be removed from the stock and mounted on a machined bedding block to fit in the return to battery fixture. We have fixtures for most common actions, and will let you know if we do not before finalizing your appointment. If we do not have a fixture for your rifle, we have other options available.
- If you prefer to have your rifle tested in the stock, we can accommodate this kind of testing as well. Please specifically request this upon scheduling your appointment or sending in your rifle.
- If your action is glued in to your stock (like many bench rest rifles), you must let us know before hand or you risk damage being done to the rifle.
- We recommend you leave tuners, bloop tubes, and front sights mounted on firearms for the testing process.
- We recommend you have at least 1,000 rounds through your barrel before testing with us, as new barrels require a break in to get consistent results.
Shipping rifles for testing
- PLEASE NOTE: We cannot accept rifles shipped via USPS and cannot ship rifles via USPS. All rifles shipped to us via USPS will be rejected and returned to sender. There are absolutely no exceptions.
- Ship via UPS or FedEx with “Adult Signature Required” and ensure your shipment for the full value of the rifle.
- Rifles must be shipped in a hard rifle case.
- Please do not ship your rifle in a cardboard box. No matter how well packed a cardboard box is (unless using specialty packaging), it doesn’t provide a lot of protection and shipping this way can damage your rifle. We have seen it several times. Due to this, if we receive a rifle shipped in a cardboard box and it looks damaged, we may reject the package. If the packaging does not look adequately safe enough when we ship the rifle back, we may have to repack your rifle in a specialty cardboard box with specialty packaging materials. You will be charged $10 for this service if applicable.
- We assume no responsibility for a rifle or barreled action that is damaged during shipping (to or from our facility) that was not shipped in a hard case.
- Upon receiving your rifle, we will inspect it for damage and we will notify you immediately if we see any damage to your rifle during shipping to our facility.
- When packing your rifle for shipment, do not use packing peanuts as these tend to crumble, build up static, and are just generally messy; which may lead to us having to clean your rifle before testing and may delay your test.
- If your hard rifle case has a combination lock on it, please include the combination in the notes section of your appointment request form.
- No FFL is required in the state of Arizona for shipping a firearm to the Lapua facility for testing. The State you are shipping from might have different requirements. Please research your local and state laws before shipping your rifle.
- ATF regulations require that we ship the rifle back to the same address you ship from.
You must schedule an appointment before mailing in a rifle. We will supply the shipping address to you once your testing has been scheduled.
Mail in rifle timeline
- You must book an appointment before sending in a rifle to ensure timely testing.
- We recommend UPS for shipping rifles.
- Allow up to 5 business days for your rifle to ship to us when shipping via UPS Ground.
- Testing can take up to 5 business days once we receive your rifle if we have the appropriate fixture for your rifle. In the rare circumstances that we do not have a fixture readily available, it will take additional time. Contact us for details and fixture availability.
- To ensure you are happy with your test results, we generally do not ship rifles back until you tell us you are finished testing and want your rifle back.
- Once you are happy with test results and request your rifle back, allow 2-3 business days for outgoing processing then up to 5 business days for UPS Ground shipping.
Visiting our test facility for testing
- Testing is by appointment only, no walk-ins available.
- We are located at 4051 N Higley Rd, Mesa, AZ 85215 and 616 State Route 61, Unite 3-9, Marengo, OH 43334 in the Cardinal Shooting Center.
- For lodging in Mesa, AZ, we have a discount for customers at Hyatt Place Phoenix-Mesa. Contact “Amber” at (480) 754-8652 and ask for the Nammo-Talley lodging discount. The hotel is located at 1422 West Bass Pro Dr, Mesa AZ 85201. We have no hotel partnerships in Marengo, OH at the moment.
- Do not plan to test your rifle and take home ammunition the same day. Most lots of ammunition are stored in our distribution facility in Sedalia, MO.
- Testing generally takes between two to four hours.
- Please arrive as close to your appointment time as possible. Coming in early means you may have to wait while we finish helping another customer. Coming in late may cause conflicts with customers that are scheduled to test after you.
- When you arrive, follow the signs that say “Lapua.” Our Mesa facility is required to meet DoD security standards, you will have to check in with security at the gate and get a badge. The security officer will then call us and we will come to the front to escort you to the testing area.
Purchasing ammunition after testing
- Ammunition is sold by the case only (5,000 rounds per case). Sometimes we might have partial cases available, but we will not split cases or mix and match different lots to make a case.
- All ammunition must be purchased through one of our dealers, but we will help to coordinate the sale to make it easy for you.
- Most of our ammunition is kept at and shipped from our distribution center in Sedalia, MO. This means that you will more than likely not be leaving the test center with ammunition in hand. Keep this in mind before testing immediately before a match.
- Many states have special restrictions in place for ammunition shipments. If your state has restrictions on shipping ammunition to individuals, you can make arrangements with a proper FFL Dealer close to you where we can ship your ammunition to upon receiving the proper authorization.
Once you have reviewed the notes above, you can schedule an appointment by clicking here.